Fiscal 2017 City Budget Campaign
The New York City Council is currently reviewing Mayor DeBlasio’s proposed Fiscal 2017 Executive Budget which continues record investments through the Accelerated Study in Associate Programs (ASAP) at CUNY community colleges. We need your help, however, to advocate needed support for educational programs and campus facility improvements. There are several CUNY programs that need City Council support. These include:
- Restoring the New York City Council Merit Scholarship
- Restoring and enhancing Citizenship Now program
- Supporting CUNY Institutes
- Continuing investments in capital improvements for community colleges
- Restoring and enhancing Creative Arts Team programs that serve at-risk students
Please take a moment and view the Fiscal 2017 CUNY Budget Priorities in detail and send your letter today to the City Council or your City Council Member and ask them to include these key initiatives, essential to student college success, as part of the Adopted Budget.
State Campaign 2016
Thank you for the tremendous support we received this year! Listed below are the some of the important aspects of the 2016-2017 enacted New York State budget:
- An increase of $21.3 million to Senior Colleges
- An increase of $17.3 million for community colleges
- The proposed funding shift of $485 million to New York City did not happen
- Collective bargaining costs were NOT included
- A renewal of the 5 year predictable tuition policy was NOT included.
- An increase of 4,7 million to SEEK and $225,000 for College Discovery
- An additional $9.3 million in community college base aid
- ASAP and childcare were restored to 2016 levels.
- An additional $143 million for critical maintenance at the Senior Colleges and $61.6 for the community colleges to match funding from the City.
- An additional $55 million for the CUNY 2020 Challenge Grant Program
You may view the full budget analysis in the documents below.
Informational documents are provided below for your use in advocacy efforts.
Recruit Friends & Family
There is power in a large organized group of people advocating on behalf of a particular issue. Please assist us in spreading the word to your family and friends in supporting public higher education. Please provide us with five e-mail addresses of acquaintances who may be interested in seeking support to provide a quality education for all students. So Tell A Friend today.
Download our pdf flyer to help inform others who might want to get involved.
There are many legislative events you may be interested in attending. Review the action events now. Examples of these events include budget hearings, rallies, legislative conferences and lobby days for advocacy groups.
CUNY Citizenship Now!
CUNY Citizenship Now! provides free, high quality, and confidential citizenship and immigration law services to help immigrants on their path to U.S. citizenship. >>