SUPPORT CUNY TODAY!
New York State adopted its fourth consecutive on time budget on March 31, 2014. The 2014-15 New York State Budget agreement includes vitally important improvements in the operating and capital budgets of The City University of New York and innovative programs that strengthen educational opportunities for students. Highlights of the budget crafted by the Governor and legislative leaders include the following items:
- ● Restoration of SEEK funding of $600,000 plus an additional $600,000 for a total of $1.2 million.
- ● Restoration of College Discovery Program in the amount of $27,000. An additional $28,000 is also provided.
- ● Restoration of Child Care funds in the amount of $544,000.
- ● Restoration of $1.7 million for ASAP (Accelerated Study in Associate Programs).
- ● Base Aid increase for community colleges in the amount of $75 per FTE which generates $8 million in additional funds.
- ● $206 million in appropriations for senior college critical maintenance.
- ● $127 million in appropriations for various senior college strategic initiatives.
- ● $67 million lump sum appropriation for senior college projects that requires New York State Senate approval.
- ● $4.5 million in matching appropriations for the Allied Health Science Center at Hostos Community College.
- ● $55 million for a second round of CUNY 2020 challenge grant funding.
- ● $15 million for matching funds at community colleges.
- ● Increase in maximum TAP award from $5,000 to $5165.
- ● Creation of a full tuition STEM scholarship program for high school students graduating in the top ten percent of their class.
CUNY is very pleased with the outcome of this year’s enacted budget and we would like to thank all the CUNY Champions who participated in our email campaigns. We couldn’t have done it without your help! Hundreds of thousands of emails were sent to New York State Legislators this year! Your voice was heard and made a difference.
CUNY will be starting its city campaign very soon. Please watch for alerts!
Recruit Friends & Family
There is power in a large organized group of people advocating on behalf of a particular issue. Please assist us in spreading the word to your family and friends in supporting public higher education. Please provide us with five e-mail addresses of acquaintances who may be interested in seeking support to provide a quality education for all students. So Tell A Friend today.
Download our pdf flyer to help inform others who might want to get involved.
There are many legislative events you may be interested in attending. Review the action events now. Examples of these events include budget hearings, rallies, legislative conferences and lobby days for advocacy groups.
INVEST in CUNY
Chancellor Matthew Goldstein, Chairman Benno C. Schmidt Jr. and the presidents of the colleges have announced the launch of Invest in CUNY: Expanding the Vision, which sets a new total goal of $3 billion by 2015. >>
CUNY Citizenship Now!
CUNY Citizenship Now! provides free, high quality, and confidential citizenship and immigration law services to help immigrants on their path to U.S. citizenship. >>