City Campaign 2016
On April 26th, the Mayor released New York City’s Fiscal 2017 Executive Budget. For CUNY, the city’s executive budget provides $322.9 million for community colleges, a net increase of $32 million from Fiscal 2016 level. Highlights of programmatic and capital initiatives funded include:
- $ 1 million to further expand the Accelerated Studies Associate Program (ASAP)
- $900,000 to assign CUNY Tutors to Math and Computer Science classes in DOE schools
- $ 1 million to provide additional College Application Fee Waivers to meet need
- $1.4 million to expand the CUNY LINCT (Lessons in Navigating College Transition) to Success program
- $10.2 million in Borough President Capital Allocations for CUNY Colleges
City Council programs funded in the Adopted Fiscal 2016 budget, including $17 million for the City Council Merit Scholarships, were not included in the City’s financial plan.
The City Council’s Finance and Higher Education Committees will hold its hearing on the Mayor’s Fiscal 2017 Executive Budget for CUNY on May 20th. Public Testimony before the City Council on the Mayor’s Fiscal 2017 Budget, including CUNY, will be heard on May 24th.
State Campaign 2016
Thank you for the tremendous support we received this year! Listed below are the some of the important aspects of the 2016-2017 enacted New York State budget:
- An increase of $21.3 million to Senior Colleges
- An increase of $17.3 million for community colleges
- The proposed funding shift of $485 million to New York City did not happen
- Collective bargaining costs were NOT included
- A renewal of the 5 year predictable tuition policy was NOT included.
- An increase of 4,7 million to SEEK and $225,000 for College Discovery
- An additional $9.3 million in community college base aid
- ASAP and childcare were restored to 2016 levels.
- An additional $143 million for critical maintenance at the Senior Colleges and $61.6 for the community colleges to match funding from the City.
- An additional $55 million for the CUNY 2020 Challenge Grant Program
You may view the full budget analysis in the documents below.
Informational documents are provided below for your use in advocacy efforts.
Recruit Friends & Family
There is power in a large organized group of people advocating on behalf of a particular issue. Please assist us in spreading the word to your family and friends in supporting public higher education. Please provide us with five e-mail addresses of acquaintances who may be interested in seeking support to provide a quality education for all students. So Tell A Friend today.
Download our pdf flyer to help inform others who might want to get involved.
There are many legislative events you may be interested in attending. Review the action events now. Examples of these events include budget hearings, rallies, legislative conferences and lobby days for advocacy groups.
CUNY Citizenship Now!
CUNY Citizenship Now! provides free, high quality, and confidential citizenship and immigration law services to help immigrants on their path to U.S. citizenship. >>